Friday, February 26, 2010

Miracle in progress....

It's funny to sit back and think about how fast things can change. Tonight I read through my thoughts over the past month, and I can't believe how things have turned out with my health situation. A week ago today, I was in the hospital having my first crohn's disease related surgery. Before going to the hospital, my surgeon told me to plan on being in the hospital at least 5 to 7 days. The surgery went so well and my inflammation was so localized that I was able to leave the hospital after being there only 2 nights!
 

Since I've been out of the hospital, I've bee recouperating at our apartment.... This is going to be the case for probably another 2 weeks while I heal from the surgery.   I have been spending most of my time on the couch watching movies, tv shows, and of course the Olympics!  I've also been working on a puzzle, and slowly getting there because I can only sit in a chair like that for so long right now.  It's been really interesting to feel the effects of the surgery and the energy it takes to recover from it.  Activities that were so simple really take it out of me.  The highlights of my days home have been my daily walk to the mailbox and car rides with Natalie to the grocery store or other errands.  I am supposed to push myelf a little futher each day and spend less and less time laying down.  I am eating 6 or 7 small meals a day to help the healing process and have a seemingly endless supply of gatorade, jello, yogurt, and pudding. I am always up for visitors, so don't hesitate to stop by! 

I have probably the best nurse that has ever lived.  I could not have gotten through this without Natalie.  She has put so much effort into making sure that I am comfortable and doing well down to the smallest detail.  For example, She went to the trouble of making individual jello cups like the one in the picture, so that I can just grab them out of the fridge when I need a snack.  She's the cutest!  

Before I forget, I want to thank everyone for their love and prayers that you've shown me through this whole ordeal.  You have no idea how much it has meant to me and helped me get through this. Whether it was a visit to the hospital, a phone call, text message... Thank you for caring!   I have learned there is great healing power through HUGS :)

Sorry if this post is all over the place...it's 2:30 in the morning now ha ha.  So, things are going well except for being a little stir crazy, and a little sore in my belly.  I followed up with my doctor yesterday, and as soon as I finish this round of prednisone, I am going to be MEDICINE FREE as long as I'm not showing any symptoms.  THAT IS A MIRACLE!!!  I haven't been medicine free for about 5 years now.  No pills, no shots, nothing!!! It's going to be so awesome! So let's keep our fingers crossed that this is finally under control and that I will have a good 3 to 5 years being symptom free like the statistics show.   

Thanks for reading!  Until next time...

PS... Congrats to my brother Brandon and wife Loren on the birth of my new nephew Mason today!  I can't wait to see him!!!

2 comments:

  1. So good to hear things are going well. And good thing you don't live in Buffalo or your walk to the mailbox would entail opening the front door and reaching in to the box next to it. (We've gotten several notices from the mailman telling us - with a cartoon drawing of a mailman slipping off a porch - to please shovel the snow off the walkway and stairs up to our door. I should do that.) Nat is the cutest patootest with her jello cups. Maybe she can come nurse me back to health next. Hang in there and as soon as I can take enough minutes from all my painting projects, we'll skype!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nate & Natalie! I saw your blog on facebook, hope you don't mind! Nate, I hope you're starting to feel better! Cory is studying GI right now so he's been reading your blog too! He's always asking, "I wonder what meds he's on." -What a geek! Anyway, Cory says "Hi!" And we wish you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete